Thursday, April 11, 2013

March 23rd, 2013 - Prepped Bed 1, 2, and 4

On Saturday and Sunday I turned over the beds. I had no idea how thick the rye/vetch roots would be, but it was rough to dig through them. After using the hoe for a few minutes, I quickly gave up and resorted to the shovel (so I could use my weight. I chopped with the shovel first, and then eventually turned over and broke up the clumps.
A tiller would have been nice, but it was a good workout.
I also dumped the entire compost bin into the beds. I would say I put about 20 gallons of compost (2 tubtrugs) into the newest bed, about the same into bed #2, and another 10 gallons into the first bed.
Almost everything was fully composted, except some egg shells, some avocado peels, and there was plenty of straw and roots that were not fully composted.
 
Before:
 After:

 

No comments:

Post a Comment