Monday, April 22, 2013

Hardening off seedlings


The main activity this past week has been hardening off all of the seedlings.  I'm trying to learn from my lesson with the broccoli, basil, and tithonia.  In fact, just today I learned that the first few days even though the plants are outside, they should NOT be put in direct sunlight.   I should start with the plants in shade the first few days.  The idea is to let them get used to the wind and the temperatures first, and then introduce them to the direct sunlight slowly.  The whole process should take 1-2 weeks.    

I have kind of been doing this, but I think by accident.  I put the seedlings out from 6 to dusk for the first few days, and there really isn't much direct sunlight left.  But this weekend I did put everything in the direct sunlight for a few hours.   I did notice that the eggplant leaves got floppy pretty quickly, but they seem to have gone back to normal when I brought them inside.  

I also reseeded the win-win pac choi, which you can see from the piture above.  It is the few spots that are slightly darker in the rightmost bed.  

At this point, all of my original broccoli is gone. The last round of seedlings looks like it is taking, and the three store bought transplants are also going nicely  









No comments:

Post a Comment