Thursday, April 11, 2013

April 8th, 2013 - It was too soon!

So I have basically lost most of my Broccoli and Kale at this point, and the lettuce is long gone. It was definitely too early to plant out those transplants. The low’s got down to 29ish, and maybe a bit lower for a few nights in a row. Another thing I did that most likely made things worse, was water at night, when I got home. I wanted to keep the carrot seeds moist, so i watered every night for about 10 minutes… probably a bad idea.
It was a busy week, and it goes to show you how quickly things can go south if you stop paying attention, even for a week.
Another personal lesson in transplanting: If possible, split the risk in half and only transplant half at a time, giving yourself a week or so to learn from mistakes…
So far nothing from seed has come up. Half of the leeks look really good, half look like they might have too much dirt on them to grow straight up. I have a few containers of leek seedlings left, so in a few weeks, I might be able to re-transplant the holes that lost their leeks.
Another note — Nothing that was sown outside has come up yet. I should probably take the temperature soil now to see if it is obviously below 40 or 50 still…




No comments:

Post a Comment