Monday, June 4, 2012

The sweet potatoes have arrived


The sweet potato slips came in the mail yesterday from Southern Exposure Seed Exchange.   I ordered 12, and received closer to 18, but some were really small, and on some, all of the leaves had turned yellow and shriveled.   Even on the best ones, one or two out of the 6-10 leaves were yellow.   I have no clue if that even matters.  They might all do fantastic, or all but 2 or 3 of them might die.

I picked two thirds of the Kale, and left the section on the North side of the bed.  It won't block sun to the new  transplants, and I'm guessing it will take a while for the transplants to take hold.  Actually, that makes me think of a note I should make for myself for next year:

Rather than plant the spinach and Kale all the way across the row in two halves, I could plant the kale the full length of the row, the long way, and the spinach the other half of the row the long way.  That way the spinach will be done by the time I have the sweet potatoes in.  That is of course if I even do spinach again next spring.  Maybe I'll go back to chard, and save the spinach till the fall.



Back to the Sweet potatoes --- With the remaining slips, I "healed" them into the ground, which means I dug out a small hole, placed all of the remaining slips in the ground, and lightly packed the soil around the roots to make contact.  I;m guessing that I will have to either use them or give them away pretty soon, otherwise the roots will all bind to each other.   If the first set takes, Ill give them away.   If any of them don't make it, I can use the backup slips.

No comments:

Post a Comment