Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Garlic Harvest

On Sunday I dug up the Garlic, totaling 34 heads.  We were away from Thursday through Sunday, and I think that they might have been ready a few days earlier.  On some of the heads, a few cloves started to outgrow the main wrapper.  From what I have read, those heads won't store nearly as long.   Overall, I think that we will just eat those first and that it will be just fine, but time will tell.  

Garlic is pretty cool in that one clove becomes one head.  We planted the 3-4 heads (split into cloves) last fall, and harvested 34 heads 8 months later.  

I think we could have planted them a little closer together. This year I tried to give each head 4 inches on each side.  I think we could do between 2.5 and 3 inches on each side and get more out of the same space, but who knows -- it could crowd them out and cause them not to get as big by doing that.  



I kept them on that table for less than an hour.  I have read that you do not want to expose them to much sunlight, as it changes their taste.  I hung them in the shed, where they will stay for around two weeks to dry out.  Then I have to figure out where to keep them in the long term.  

To celebrate, we made a simple garlic and green been saute, both of them picked that day.  It was as good as it looks :)


No comments:

Post a Comment