Monday, October 1, 2012

Sweet Potato

I couldn't wait any longer.  Last week I gently lifted the vines on one end of the sweet potato bed, and used my hand to dig into the ground at the base of where one of the sweet potato slips was planted.  I pushed and dug away the soil until I saw a sweet potato, and then I pulled it away from the cluster.  It looks like a fingerling potato in size, no more than 4 inches long.   I wanted to dig farther to see if any where bigger, but I held back the urge.   


I also turned off the sprinklers for the while sweet potato bed last week (On the 24th).   I read that it is generally good to not water them the last month or so, so that they don't split.  

The summer squash plant in the front of the house finally produced it's first squash.   This plant was pretty shaded, but has been growing low and slow for months now.   So that makes two summer squash from two plants this year.  Not the best yield :).

No comments:

Post a Comment