Friday, October 5, 2012

Now that looks more like a sweet potato

I pulled a sweet potato from the other side of the bed this week, and this one looks more promising.  They have about 2-3 weeks left before I pull them all.  


The Swiss chard is looking good, and I plan to transplant it next week.   I pulled up most of the old bush bean plants, and I added some compost and leaf mold into the back section of that bed earlier this week.  The leaf composting went really, really well, and I am going to take some pictures and write another entry about it in the next few weeks. It really exceeded my expectations, and I can't wait to do it again this year with twice as many leaves.      


After I pull out the sweet potatoes and plant the garlic, I am going to use what room I have left for the collard transplants.


The jalapeno plant stayed much smaller this year than in the past.  I'm guessing this is because the other plants blocked a lot of sunlight.  That one red guy is definitely ready to eat, and I bet it is blazing hot.    


In the foreground you can just barely make out some of the spinach that has sprouted.   The rest of the row is covered in winter rye, hairy vetch, and peas, which are all about 6-8 inches tall at this point.  I read this week that the winter rye could grow to be 3-5 feet tall.  That would be pretty funny.


I think this is going to be the last tomato that will get ripe enough to eat.  As you can see, the plant itself looks pretty sad.


I wanted to record an "after" picture of the area where tried to grow some winter squash and cantaloupe this year.


No comments:

Post a Comment