Monday, September 24, 2012

Goodbye cucumbers

The main task this weekend was pulling up the cucumbers. All of the new cucumbers were deformed and yellowish.   I harvested the last three or four good ones, and put an end to the sorry looking vines.

I also finally tied the asparagus to the shed, as you can see from the picture below.  I'd been meaning to do this for months so that I could walk along the back of the rows once again, but I kept putting it off.


I also harvested the two mature acorn squash plants and composted all of the dead butternut and acorn squash vines.   

Last Wednesday I attempted to germinate some spinach seeds inside, wrapped in a damp paper towel inside of a plastic bag.   About 10 or the 40 seeds germinated, so late sunday night I sowed them into the garden, where the cucumbers used to be.  Now that I write this, I wonder if I should have added some nitrogen fertilizer (Bone meal or fish emulsion) to the soil before sowing. I guess I still can... The plan is to wait another day or two to see if any other seeds germinated.  I will keep moving them outside as they germinate. I found this was one of the few methods that actually worked this spring for the spinach.  

Closeup of some green tomatoes growing outside the cage.  

No comments:

Post a Comment