Monday, September 17, 2012

Butternut Squash harvest

The time has come, and to be honest, it was a little underwhelming.  The picture below is 3/4 of my butternut squash harvest.  One more squash is still on the vine, but it is still a bit too green.   The vines have mostly died back.  I'm not sure if this is normal, or if they died back early because of some disease.  I do know that eventually they die back, I just thought it would happen in another month or so.


Luckily, there is some green foliage right around where the last squash is, so hopefully that helps it mature for a few more weeks.


The cantaloupe and acorn squash plants look like they are not that far behind.  There are two mature acorn squashes, and the two cantaloupes never made it bigger than softball size.



So that makes 4 butternut squashes, 2 acorn squash (maybe a third, but I doubt it will have enough time), and two tiny little cantaloupes.  Good thing I didn't go crazy and built a root cellar.  We could eat these guys in the course of 1 month.  

As for the butternut squash, the general wisdom online is that now I need to let them cure (inside is fine) for about two weeks.   After that, they are best stored between 40-50f, but i have read that it they should be good at most indoor temps for 3-6 months.   

No comments:

Post a Comment