Thursday, September 6, 2012

Cover crops and getting ready for fall

I'm still not sure what I'm going to plant where for the fall, but in the meantime, I sowed some hair vetch and winter rye in the old bean patch and under the pepper plants.  I'm curious to see how long it takes it to come up, and how much of it germinates.  I had a few last basil seedlings in the starter, so I planted 3 or 4 in the bean patch and another 3 or 4 in with the peppers.    Not something I thought about doing ahead of time, I could not find a reason why extra basil would be a bad idea.  



I covered both plantings of rye grass with a thin layer of leafgrow leaf mulch.  Hopefully the leafgrow is not too strong for the seeds.


Speaking of transplants, I also finally transplanted the marigolds and the 2 brussels sprout seedlings that made it this far into bigger pots.  My plan is to grow the marigolds in the bigger pots until the Tithonia is ready to be pulled.   It would be nice if the marigolds are ready in time so we could have some good fall color in the front.
Behind the pots is a volunteer butternut squash plant that I tied to the downspout to see if I could get it to climb all the way up.



No comments:

Post a Comment