Thursday, August 2, 2012

Summer squash and sweet potato leaves

Before we left for the weekend, I saw the first straight neck summer squash.  By the time we got back, there was good news and bad news. 

The good news:  By the time we got back the squash was the perfect size.  I picked it before I even walked in the front door.  

The bad news: It looks like some squash vine borers got into a bunch of the squash plants by the front door.  One of them looks like it might make it, but the other two or three plants are completely dead.   

In other news, the sweet potato vines have been going crazy and I finally had my chance to pick the leaves and stir fry them.   I read that they cook and taste a lot like spinach.  I found a recipe online that said to boil them for 2 minutes, then chop them up, and then stir fry them for around 1 minute.   

We made a quick stir fry with the sweet potato leaves, the summer squash, and garlic -- all three from our garden, which is always awesome.   
It turned out really good.   I would say that compared to spinach, the only difference I noticed was that the sweet potato leaves were slightly more slimey, but I think I only noticed because I read that online.   Emily didn't notice any difference.   
The best part is that we won't have spinach for another few months, so this is going to be a great, constantly producing substitute.   Actually, the best part is that even though we will keep harvesting the leaves, we are hopefully going to get some good sweet potatoes!




No comments:

Post a Comment