Monday, August 13, 2012

Cucumber and Squash update

I wanted to document what seems to be a more and more common occurrence lately.  The pictures below show the mystery squash/melon plant, and then the cucumber plants.   As you can see -- some, but not all, of the vine strands just start to shrivel up and die.   



The list of what it could be is so long, I can't wrap my head around it just yet.   Some random guesses:

  • The result of my moving the vines around and breaking a stem
  • The result of me spraying with either Neem oil or garlic extract
  • The result of too much water
  • The result of some disease or bug

All of these seem plausible to me at this point.  

On to the good news.   The first Butternut squash is doing great, and there at least 4 or 5 more that have started:


 

Also, here is the first acorn squash.  Interestingly, the acorn squash vine is twice as large as any of the Butternut squashes, but the first fruit is just setting now.   

No comments:

Post a Comment