Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Slug update

So far so good.  The cucumbers, Pole Beans, and Summer Squash that were sowed last Thursday, germinated and broke the surface on Monday and Tuesday, and they are still in one piece.   A few nibbles here and there, but all an all, pretty good. The Butternut squash on the side of the house is also in tact.

Butternut squash on the north side of the house
About 10 summer squash.  Hoping that even if I lose some, I will have a few that can make it. 
Instead of planting more pole beans here, I decided to try a bunch of cucumbers this time.  
I was running out of Selma Zesta pole beans, the ones I bought this year, so I used the Deans Purple Pole beans I bought last year for this attempt.   The purple beans look really nice, and they tasted good, but not amazing, which is why I wanted to try the Selma Zesta this year.  I think I will sow the last dozen SZ seeds this weekend.  

As for the Dahlias, they also are getting nibbled a little bit, but all but one of them have recovered and are growing now.
These guys are still protected by the cages, but the Dahlias that are not in cages are doing just fine also!  Go Sluggo!


No comments:

Post a Comment