Monday, April 30, 2012

April 30th, 2012


New

Strawberries Picked up some Quinault strawberries (BonniePlants) at Home Depot.  Put them in the window planters with Miricle grow organic garden soil (which I have heard is not great).  I also heard that they they do much better in the ground, but we don't really have a good space for them in the ground.  For 10 bucks, we figured it was worth a shot.   
Marigolds - I have officially given up on the marigold seeds I sowed last month.  I transplanted the marigolds that we picked up at farmers market last weekend.  I am going to try again with some seeds as well, so hopefully it looks like Bobe and Zade's garden with a thick line of marigolds around the edge.  

Peppers - Picked up a Jalepeno plant (BonniePlants) and Hot chili pepper plant (BonniePlants) from HD, and transplanted them this weekend.   As they grow, I'll have to pull some onions around them.  Also, the poblano and anaheim peppers are doing really well inside.  I added fish emulsion to the potting tray last week to fertilize them.   I should probably have fertilized earlier, but they do look pretty good.  


Dahlias - After talking to Grandpa Gordon, I decided to plant some Dahlia plants.   I bought them from a site he recommended, Lynch Creek Dahlias.   I picked 9 plants with varying heights and flower sizes, and put them in this weekend.  They come as tubers, or dried, bare roots.   You are supposed to plant them 6 inches deep and 18-24" apart.  I planted some of them closer to a foot a part, so I'll have to see if that messes with them.  

Nicotiana, (more) Tithonia, and (more)Aster - Broadcast some seed from each of these guys in the front flower bed.   I have no idea if any of them will get enough light, but there is only one way to find out.  
Updates
Spinach - Sown 47 days ago
Radishes - Sown 35 days ago 
In the middle you can see the stir Fry mix, sown 29 days ago.  All the way on the right you can barely see the red and green mix also sown 29 days ago.   The onions were sown 42 days go.
Snow and Snap peas, sown 42 days ago.  
The biggest of the 6 transplanted Bibb lettuce plants.  Started indoors 2 months ago, transplanted 29 days ago
Bush beans, either sown 35 days ago, or transplanted 15 days ago

No comments:

Post a Comment