Wednesday, November 28, 2012

A real freeze. Say goodbye to the Dahlias and the last pepper plant

Hard Freeze: November 26th, 2012

So now I know -- The freeze a few weeks back was not the type that kills the plants entirely.  This one was.  



The Dahlias were awesome this year, this one in particular.   This plant alone had over 50 flowers over a span of months.    The others were closer to 1 or 2 dozen, but still impressive.    Unfortunately I had one plant that was just about to bloom its very first flower.  So close!  We'll have to wait until next year to find out what it looks like.


The question I am struggling with now is:  Do I dig out the dahlia tubers and try and store them inside, or do I leave them in the ground.   The Internet says I should be able to leave them in the ground in my zone (7A), but most people say they are rarely lucky enough to have them come back.  

You are supposed to store them inside at a temp of 40-50 degrees, but I don't have anywhere inside below 60.   I'm hoping I will come up with a good if I just keep thinking about it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment