Friday, July 20, 2012

A bunch of tomatoes, round 2 for the bush beans, and sick pole beans



The tomatoes could not have arrived at a better time.  Last weekend the family came, with Bobe and we ate the first 5 tomatoes, including that one huge mortgage lifter.  There was one ripe better boy and one ripe Patio tomato, so we even got to have a taste test.

1st place 
Better boy -- By far the best flavor
2nd place
Mortgage lifter -- Not quite as good of a flavor as the better boy, but really juicy and a close second.
3rd place
Patio -- Still better than store bought tomatoes, but not by that much.   

The original bush bean plants kicked the bucket this past week, and I pulled them out on the 18th.  This picture is of the next planting.  The back two rows is contender, and the closest row is Blue Lake (the new one).  I'll plant another few rows of blue lake in a few weeks.

Not sure when I will transplant the Basil and the Marigolds.   I'm pretty sure they are ready, but I think they could also wait a bit longer as well.

From afar, the pole beans look great.  They have reached the top of the overhang, and are looking for more space to grow.
Unfortunately, the leaves are dying on most of the plants, to various degrees.   I looked it up online, and it might be Bean Mosaic Virus.   The fix:  Plant more.  They get the virus from aphids, and are more susceptible at certain times. From what I read if I plant more, the next batch might not "catch" the virus.    At this point I guess it is just a race against time.  No beans yet.  Just tons of flowers.



I also finally got to take a picture of the Tithonia and Aster at it's peak.  I wonder how long they each will keep flowering.  Looks pretty nice now.

No comments:

Post a Comment